Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Art World Aficionado

Art Collecting today, according to Charles Saatchi, "is the sport of the Eurotrashy, Hedge-fundy, Hamptonites; of trendy oligarchs and oiligarchs" - in other words, to collect on a serious level these days has become out of reach for the 99%. But thanks to Art Remba, a high-end art rental agency founded by my friend and former Sotheby's classmate Nahema Mehta, this is no longer the case. Just yesterday. Art Remba was featured in the New York Times, and I couldn't think of a better time to sit down with Nahema and talk about her business, her aspirations and the future of Art Remba.

Nahema Mehta

How long have you been interested in art and what spurred your interest? 
Can I say since birth?! I grew up in Antwerp, which has a wonderful art scene, and my family has collected everything from masterworks to emerging talent ever since I can remember. I was also fortunate enough to migrate to Columbia University for college, which gave me all the resources necessary (free museum passes galore!) to navigate the New York art scene - I was very much like a kid in a candy store. In terms of spurring and maturing my interest, all credit goes to my mom: she always taught me to look, look, look, and to use art criticism as a bolster to enhance my own perspective instead of a crutch on which to blindly rely. She has a particular affinity for modern and contemporary Indian art, which is why I debuted Art Remba with a selection of South Asian works. I've recently also added contemporary photography by European and Chinese artists to the program about which I'm thrilled. But I digress...

Please give us an abstract of how Art Remba works. 
It's quite simple really. You choose from our curated selection of artworks and get the luxury of subscribing to them for an accessible monthly fee (think $50/month for a $5,000 piece.) 50% of paid subscription dues are always discounted from the purchase price should you fall in love with a work and wish to acquire it. Our artwork ranges in value from a few thousand to upwards of $60k, so there's really something for everyone whether you are looking to slowly invest-to-own a work, live with a "dream" work, or try a work out before making a large investment. All works are hand delivered and professionally framed and installed. We also provide an extensive artist dossier with each work to create an experience that is both aesthetically and intellectually pleasing.

Art Remba Launch Party

What inspired you to create Art Remba? 
For the uninitiated, collecting fine art - specifically the kind featured at galleries, auction houses, and prominent art fairs - can be intimidating to say the least. I knew many young professionals who wanted to start collecting, but who were unsure of what they really liked and weary of making a large upfront investment. I designed Art Remba to alleviate their concerns and create a more intuitive way of exploring, experiencing, and acquiring fine art.

Art Remba Launch Party

Who is the ideal Art Remba subscriber? 
Someone culturally inclined who loves the act of discovery and savors special experiences.

Do you consider yourself to be a burgeoning art collector? And if so, do you own any pieces from Art Remba's collection? 
Like many of our Members, I consider myself an aspiring collector. And yes, I have my eye on the amazing fashion-inspired yet politically-charged photographs by Quentin Shih that will be available through Remba this summer!


works by Quentin Shih from The Stranger series

What do you see in store for Art Remba in the foreseeable future? 
Our focus now is onboarding more galleries and artists. Any suggestions on who you'd like to see on Remba!? In the near future I'd love to feature some guest curators - I love watching people create context and new meaning for art based on their particular point of view and interpretation of a collection of works.

How are your personal aesthetic preferences reflected in Art Remba's collection? 
I gravitate toward quality and character. All the artists Remba features have something to say and a distinct way of expressing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment