Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Sex and the Cities - Miranda

This week, I will present you with four friends who are living modern day lives of Sex and the City characters through landing their dream jobs and looking fashionable every step of the way!

Meet Stacie, who like Miranda, is a lawyer at a prestigious law firm where she dresses for success.

Stacie at the office where she is wearing a fitted polished suit and pearls

What is a typical day in the life of a lawyer?

My day-to-day varies considerably based on the posture of the case (or cases) I'm working on at the time. I work out with a trainer in the mornings two or three times a week -- I hate mornings but do it because (1) it helps me wake up in the morning and (2) I literally would not work out if I had to try and fit it in after work. Lately I have been preparing for expert depositions. Today I have been working on a mock cross examination of our expert on issues he may be weak on. I sent him the outline so that he can review it, and then will spend tomorrow in a conference room pretending to cross examine him, and then providing constructive feedback on how he can best spin tough questions, etc. I make sure that the support staff has all the documents ready to go. I have also had to follow up with the client on strategy issues to make sure that they are OK with decisions that may affect the case in a large way.

What are your favorite things to do for a night on the town in Dallas?

I love dinner and drinks with the girls. People are very much paired up in Dallas, so girls' night is something that generally has to be planned -- it is not the default. Charity events are huge here on any given night, especially with the young professional crowd. Everyone is on the committee of something, so it is naturally where everyone meets up.

How do you think your profession has influenced your personal style?

I have always loved the pearls + pencil skirt + button down shirt, and get to wear it every day! Since you have to be covered up, I tend to be more covered up outside of work too -- sleeveless is just not my thing. The exception, of course, is short skirts.

In what ways do you identify with or not identify with Miranda?

I identify with being independent, as well as pretty ballsy when it comes to speaking my mind. I enjoy making my own financial security. In my line of work, you have to be strong in your convictions. That said, you have to pick your battles ... I think I argue with people in my personal life much less than Miranda seemed to. I am comfortable with agreeing to disagree on minor points that really don't matter. I also identify with having a less-than-optimal work/life balance, and with dating someone who brings out the romantic in me.

I do not identify with the frumpy outfits. What the hell is that?

What inspires you from a career standpoint?

I work with a partner named Brad Caldwell, and I admire the integrity he displays. Until I actually began practicing I did not realize how shitty lawyers can be -- for no reason other than to give the other side a hard time. He does not engage in this bickering, he doesn't stretch the facts into something they are not, and he does not tolerate any amount of disrespect in the workplace. He wins cases ($540 million microsoft verdict anyone?) because he is only willing to back a case if he believes in it, and because he is a good lawyer. He also encourages younger attorneys and is really invested in their growth.


No comments:

Post a Comment