Thursday, December 1, 2011

Sex and the Cities - Carrie

This week, I will present you with four friends who are living modern day lives of Sex and the City characters through landing their dream jobs and looking fashionable every step of the way!

Meet Cecelia, who like Carrie, is taking the publishing world by storm with her very own eclectic style.

What is a typical day in the life working at a magazine?

Reporting is all about coverage. You have to make sure you have access to what's new and exciting as well as what will make a prominent headline. But I think the best reporting is when the spin is anchored in inspiration. You should have a unique voice and be adding to the overall conversation. So to find the balance is best and that comes back to access. A large portion of your time is spent at gallery openings, art fairs, museum previews seeing everything and speaking to everyone. As Jeffrey Deitch said in greeting me at the ABMB preview "I just love that I see you at every place that matters." The rest of the days are spent on the phone following up on interviews and fact checking. Then editing the piece for deadline!

What are your favorite things to do for a night on the town in Los Angeles?

Il Curo is my favorite new restaurant in West Hollywood! I love to start with an amazing dinner on their patio in front of the big fireplace and then head up the hill to Chateau Marmont for a nightcap.

How do you think your profession has influenced your personal style?

I would say the time I spend in NY has impacted my style's functionality. I wear lots of boots and flats and I'm living in more urban brands like Alexander Wang and Helmut Lang. But Margiela is my go to for fancy art events!

In what ways do you identify with or not identify with Carrie?

Well, the obvious answer is the hair! But I would also claim we have similar senses of strong will and confidence but balance those with more playful at times even quirky personalities. We are both very eclectic!

What inspires you from a career standpoint?

My dream is to host monthly or weekly parlors at my residence. A space designated for culturally centered, intimate exchange of ideas. The gatherings would range from film screenings and art shows to dinner parties and chamber series. I'm also a curator so it is important for me to foster an open dialogue with all my creatively inclined friends. And what better way than to invite them into my domestic space, salon style? Think Gertrude Stein!

No comments:

Post a Comment