Friday, July 15, 2011

Finding the New York in Chicago

For me this summer is all about discovering what the Chicago cultural scene has to offer. Of course there are things about New York that cannot be replicated or replaced, but I am coming to find that Chicago offers its own little (and cleaner..) version of New York. I recently moved into my new apartment in River North and everyday I am pleasantly surprised to find more things I love about the neighborhood - the most important being that I am conveniently located just a few blocks from the River North Gallery District. It may not be Chelsea, but it has its own alluring qualities, one of which being its accessibility. I walked into the Andrew Bae Gallery yesterday and the gallery owner started up a friendly conversation with me, offering information all about the history of the neighborhood. This type of exchange is taboo in the New York gallery world...I mean I had to study at Sotheby's in order to have access to anything and anyone art related. Here in Chicago the snobbery and elusiveness doesn't yet seem to exist, but I still have a lot more places to discover...

River North Gallery District



No comments:

Post a Comment