Monday, July 25, 2011

Gallery Favorites - Gruen Galleries

I have been on a mission to find my favorite art galleries in Chicago. This means actually visiting all of the galleries in the Chicago Gallery News Guide and evaluating them based on artist roster, exhibition space, lighting and architectural design. I spent a lot of time in the Chelsea, Madison Avenue, Lower East Side and Williamsburg gallery districts while in New York. After much evaluation, I decided that my favorite galleries there were Hauser & Wirth, the Andrea Rosen Gallery and Salon 94 - Freemans. I had the opportunity to work at the Andrea Rosen Gallery while I was in school which was an amazing experience. Her artists are some of my ultimate favorites. Thus far in Chicago, I have been able to visit most of the galleries in the River North district. While there are still more gallery districts in Chicago that I need to explore, I am confident that the Gruen Galleries in River North will remain on my list of gallery favorites. Towering three stories high, I was very impressed with the gallery space and scale. Most importantly though, I really responded to the artists on exhibit. My favorite works on display there are posted below.

Erin Parish



Tom Brydelsky

No comments:

Post a Comment